Language FilterMay 21, 2020
Dearest Jodelers! 🧡
Today we want to announce the release of a new feature we have been building over the last few weeks: language filter 🌍
Globally, millions of Jodelers are already connecting to their local communities. We are especially proud that we are part of an international community that is spread across multiple countries, cultures and languages. With language filter we are trying to improve the following cases:
- Internationals are currently unable to use Jodel due to a lack of knowledge of the local language. However, also for them it’s very relevant to connect to fellow internationals and meet new people around.
- Local communities will be able to prosper even in frequently travelled places that currently are having a big amount of posts in international languages.
- Create more relevance in our global communities that consist of a diverse amount of people connecting in different languages.
You might have experienced one of these cases when travelling internationally.
How it works: In the top bar menu, where you access your hometown, you will be able to switch off languages you don’t understand. Please note that for the language detection we not only tag the post but also the device language of the user for very short posts and pictures. That way, a post is always reaching the relevant user base. We will also launch two new default channels:
- ✈️ Are you travelling in your current or to another country and want to know what are the best experiences around? In @Traveller you can engage with and meet fellow travellers. Let’s hope for a prompt Covid-19 recovery, so that this channel can start becoming useful.
- 🌍 You are living abroad and want to connect with fellow internationals nearby? You just moved to another city and want to get to know like minded people? @Expat is your community.
The filters will apply for all channels and replace the international feed. We will start adding more languages over time, especially for our friends from the Nordics, France and Italy.
Access the @traveller channel of your area: https://shared.jodel.com/8ZejpnpWh6
Access the @expat channel of your area: https://shared.jodel.com/8ZejpnpWh6
Spread the word, especially to your fellow international friends that can now also engage with relevant Jodelers around. Use #languagefilter for well, your feedback about this feature. And most important: stay safe!
From Berlin with love 🧡
!(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jrt2Lmb3MFViviHGFm8PhGYjepdd4kpEnf0zdSOzIW2EDAA-jXJogRiIHQCoV3ziC4wugkf_8sQHSgF4FieK9QkSGBsZW6FIw93xstT53qMsFYam0z5mWs65nWmMwDJE0gFHNUWV “Language Filter” =602x219)